Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Handling Docx Files

.docx file is the default file format for Microsoft Word 2007. It won't open on older MS Word versions, like the one I'm using (Word 2003) and even to OpenOffice - which is my default document app. Today is the first time I encountered a docx file. A file was emailed to me in this format. First I thought it was an OpenOffice file. When it didn't open I tried MS Word 2003. No luck either. Then it occured to me that it might be a virus, so I google checked to be safe. And that's how I found out about this new doc file with an x. I'm currently loving the free Openoffice so I don't follow MS Office news anymore. I was even surprised when I found out that there's already a 2007 version. Anyway, I resorted to the ever reliable google to find out how to open or convert this docx thing. Reviewsaurus has this list of options:

1. Convert the file using ZamZar : You can simply go on ZamZar.com & then upload the DOCX file and then select the option of exporting it to DOC format.

2. Convert using DOCX2DOC : Another online converter and this one is specifically for converting the files from DOCX to DOC. Visit DOCX2DOC.COM

3. Compatibility pack by Microsoft : You may download the compatibility pack from Microsoft which will allow you to open, edit and save the DOCX format in the older version of MS Office.

4. Convert using the OpenOffice.org : You can also open the DOCX file in OpenOffice.org but that too with the help of the converter. You’ll need to download this extension and then only you’ll be able to convert the file. Found via thedailyblahblah blog.

I opted for the official Microsoft compatibility pack. After downloading, I installed it and presto! the good old Word 2003 in my PC can now recognize the docx-file.

No comments: