Monday, May 5, 2008

VLC Media Player

My media player of choice is VLC. I've been using it for more than two years now and it pretty much does the job of playing all sorts of media files that I feed it. If you have this app in your arsenal, Quicktime, and Real and Windows media players will have a permanent vacation in your computer. I've been recommending it to friends and they also have no complains.

VLC is a portable multimedia player, encoder, and streamer supporting many audio and video codecs and file formats as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It is able to stream over networks and to transcode multimedia files and save them into various different formats. (wikipedia)

You can download the free software here.

And once again, VLC was put to good use this afternoon when I watched this long (2.5 hours) film directed by Sean Penn. Into the Wild is a beautiful depressing film based on the life of Christopher McCandless, who hiked to Alaska after finishing college, tried to smoke a moose and died in a magic bus by way of a toxic plant. I had my own Henry David Thoreau spell but i never tried getting away from society and living off nature's bounty like the main character in this flick. The film is great. It's been waiting in my backlog folder for more than a month before I finally able to see it. The soundtrack by Eddie Vedder is great. Quotable quote: "Happiness is real when shared". That should be the motto of all the filesharers in the internets.

No comments: