Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ultimate Boot CD

No, it's not a PC game. It's my number 1 tool of trade when troubleshooting PCs and laptops. I've been using my scratched burned copy of UBCD for quite a while now and it's a source of troubleshooting joy, both for me and whoever is the owner of the PC i happen to repair, or destroy.

The Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) is a free suite of tools in a bootable compact disc. It includes

memory checkers, CPU stress testers, system information tools, boot managers and tools for hard drives, partitions, password resets, and more.

You can download this baby from this website. And since the CD is now going the floppy disk way, the latest innovation with this very useful tool is, of course, UBCD in an USB drive aka USBUBCD. Makeuseof.com has a nifty tutorial on how to port the UBCD in a flasdrive. Just go here.

I haven't tried this thing yet, so i can't post a review. I'll try it the next time my neighbor's PC conked out and he yells for my help.

No comments: